Sunday, February 15, 2015

Moving On, Once Again!


 

I'm Moving On, Once Again

 

Some years ago, I began writing at a content site known as eHow. I'd written only a short time there, when it was sold to Demand Studios, who then completely changed it. Rules were different, editors were incorporated (a good thing, if I must say so.) But not everybody got moved to DS, there were only a few of us chosen. There was no sense of "family" or community. Then they began to rework us into automatons, and every article began to look and read the same. Uniformity is a good thing in some instances, but too much becomes boring. I knew it wasn't the place for me. So I moved on to Squidoo, thanks to a good friend who suggested it.

 

Squidoo Years, Fun and Income

 

I made over 400 pages in my time of writing at Squidoo, an online content site. I became the "Women in the Military Contributor" and the "History Buff Contributor," and enjoyed having a niche in which I felt I could provide writing prompts for others. It was a fun place to write, with good people who became my friends, my "family." I enjoyed writing there for nearly five years, made some money at it and then suddenly it was over. Our "family" was sold to HubPages and I felt abandoned, betrayed, angered and orphaned.


Moving On Is A Part Of Life

 

I'm 75 years old and throughout my life, as with most of us, there has been a series of moving on from people, situations and jobs. This is only one of them, and just as when a loved one leaves us, it took me a few days to get over my initial grief. My hurt was deepened by the fact that I had encouraged other writers to stick with Squidoo. I felt sorry for the writers who believed in Squidoo and in me.


The Next Stage: Anger

 


When Squidoo first bit the dust I went through various stages of grief. One of them was anger. I'd find myself angry at all sorts of unrelated things; dropping a spoon, my hair needing a cut, and my partner's tone of voice. The real reason for my anger was that I felt betrayed, and no one in my family seemed to understand my hurt. How could they? None of them had ever written on a content site, and none of them had ever had this kind of thing happen. It took a few weeks to get over this stage. That's why I suggest, if you are going through something like this, do something good for yourself, and get some help. I've suggested a couple of books on this page to help you deal with despair, disappointment and anger because of unexpected changes in your personal or public life.



I Let My Group Down

 

On Facebook I ran a group called Squidoo Positivity, known for encouraging writers to do their best on the site, even in the face of negativity from others. We built a cohesive group who supported and encouraged one another. Imagine what a test for my positivity when Squidoo made the decision to close! On the day of the announcement, I cried off and on all day. I felt I had let my group down, and I worried about them. After my "mourning" period, I decided to move forward and changed the group's name to The Writer's Door. I put out the word and invited all online writers to join a supportive, encouraging group. It has now become one of the most respected writer's groups on Facebook, with over 250 members.


I Felt Like An Orphan

 

After Squidoo folded, I felt I was "cut loose," from a place where I felt comfortable and at home. I felt like an orphan, floundering, not knowing what to do or what to expect next. I worried that my stories would not fit HubPages needs and requirements. I worried if Squids would be accepted, and if our writing was what they were looking for. As it turns out, it didn't work for me. So now... I'm moving on, once again


No Matter What Happens....


UPDATE: Moving On, Once Again!

 


Here it is...seven months later, in February of 2015. I'm now moving on, once again. HubPages is NOT the place for me. My writing or my subjects are the problem, I'm not sure which. In the time I've been there, I had only a few small sales in November, and nothing at all until February, in which I made 32 cents on a small sale. But the lack of pay is not the only problem. The biggest problem is that HP, like Squidoo, continues to change the rules almost every week. When we first moved the rule was 50 words for each product. I complied, eliminating everything I couldn't support with at least 50 meaningful words. Since then, that rule has changed to 100 words per product and no more than 3 products per page. And now there's talk of not allowing products at all. The hobbyist writers there will enjoy that very much, and that's fine for them. But I am a professional writer who wants to be a successful writer. As Stephen King, the modern writer I most admire says:

“If you wrote something for which someone sent you a check, if you cashed the check and it didn't bounce, and if you then paid the light bill with the money, I consider you talented.” 

Most writers realize there are many talented writers out there in the world. But if you have aspersions to being one of them, the little thing about being "paid" is very important to remember. King wrote for free until he was able to get his name out to the public and from that point he never wrote again for free. I've decided if I'm going to write for free it shall be on my own site, not another's.

 AS Willie Nelson Sings It...I'm Movin' On!

 

  

Take Control Of Your Life